Thursday, April 19, 2007

Uptown Boot Socks - Done!

Pattern: Uptown Boot Socks from Favorite Socks
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in "gold hill"
Needles: US1 (2.25mm) Crystal Palace bamboo dpn's
Modifications: knitted 2" of the ribbing instead of 2.5", 5" of the leg instead of 8".


I don't think I would be using this yarn again anytime soon. The colors of Lorna's Laces are beautiful, but I just don't like the yarn quality. I prefer a soft merino or any of my favorite 4-ply yarns. This gold hill colorway is lovely and I'm happy to have knit something with it.

After knitting a few inches on the first sock, I was uncertain about my choice of using a variegated yarn. I wasn't sure if all those colors would hide the cable designs. I thought of changing the yarn but I'm happy I decided to keep going. I think it turned out pretty nice.

I'm looking forward to knitting some of the other beautiful designs in this wonderful new book. There's the Anniversary Socks (Nancy Bush), or the Waving Lace Socks (Evelyn A. Clark) that I'm thinking of starting next.

I'm thinking of using the merino 4-ply yarn that I bought during a recent trip to Hong Kong. It's in a beautiful deep olive shade very similar to the original. But it's difficult to let go of "souvenir yarn" if you know what I mean. Maybe I should just go to the yarn store tomorrow and see what I find...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! The socks are fantastic! And you have a really beautiful "showcase" home to photograph socks in!!! :) Hope you get my letter soon!!! BTW, I'm doing a yarn giveaway on my website which ends on the 23rd if you're interested.

4/19/2007 3:58 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Those are so pretty. I'm not a big LL fan either but the colors look gorgeous. And I want that book--it's got some great patterns for sure.

4/19/2007 4:27 PM  
Blogger iSeL said...

Beautiful! That book is so chockful of good patterns. I especially love the Anniversary Socks. Hope you find the perfect yarn for them!

4/19/2007 5:12 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

Very pretty!

4/19/2007 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home