Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Calum

Project: "Calum" from A Season's Tale
Yarn: Cascade 220 - color: 4002 (charcoal)
Needles: US8 (5mm) 24" addi circulars
Modifications: changed the 3x4 sleeve and hem ribbing to 2x2


I knitted this sweater about 3 months ago for my husband. He prefers his clothes simple and low maintenance, so I used a yarn that's sturdy and easy to care for, and picked a classic design by Kim Hargreaves.

The pattern called for a 3x4 ribbing for the sleeves and hem, but I decided on a 2x2 instead so I can use a tubular cast-on. I really like how neat the cast-on edge looks with this method.

Another detail I'm quite happy with is the matching decreases along both sides of the raglan shaping for the WS rows. The pattern didn't specify the types of decreases to use (not that it's a problem). And I was happy to discover that the SSP decrease worked perfectly on the WS rows because it slants to the left on the RS, to match the K2tog decreases.

It's my first time installing a zipper for my knitting. I hand stitched it. It came out ok, but I will use my sewing machine for future projects that require zippers and do a better job next time.

He says it's warm and likes wearing it. I do like how this yarn softens up after washing. It's nice that this design is comfortable and casual for the weekends but not too casual that he can't wear to the office.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

What a fantastic job you did. It looks great.

3/09/2009 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Vanessa said...

Great sweater! it's tough knitting for man sometimes :) i'm glad he likes it.

7/15/2009 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home