Wednesday, February 08, 2006

First Attempt at Fair Isle

After being tortured by Deli's demanding finishing needs, I think I'm entitled to cast on for two new projects. Two! I deserve it, no?

"Norwegian Stockings" from Folk Socks by Nancy Bush.


Where did the inspiration come from? From the talented Blossom over at Whispering Pine! Her beautiful work was so motivating, I actually bought the same exact color combination that she used. Silly me.

I bought this book a while back, just never made anything from it. I wasn't very experienced with sock knitting at the time and thought that this book would help me. Interesting book, the author gives a history lesson on early sock knitting.

This is my first attempt with fair isle knitting. I think I did ok for a first time. The stitches are pretty even. It was exciting watching the pattern come together as I knit. Very interesting and a lot of fun. I had no idea, I've been missing out! So far, no problems understanding the pattern. I love baby ull, so soft, it should get even more soft after a warm bath.

I also want to make the "Hanging Garden Lace Stole" by Sivia Harding, written for Knit Picks. I don't have a picture. Here's what I'm using.


My first lace project, the Paisley Lace Shawl, was very satisfying. Time for more lace. Who knows, I might have a special occasion in a few months when the weather gets warmer. I'll have something pretty to wear. I'll be using Knit Picks' lace-weight "Alpaca Cloud" in the color "Iris", 100% baby alpaca.

The pattern called for beads used in the cast on and cast off edge. I chose pink glass beads, it goes with the color "Iris", a heathered pale grayish color with a touch of lavender. I bought the beads in a pack of 72 at Michael's for $1.99! (The pattern called for 70 beads.) I've never knit with beads before, I hope it doesn't look tacky.

I hope I made the right decision on these two choices, we'll see, hope it won't get tossed in the reject pile.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

Ooo, I love the color you are using for your Norwegian socks!

2/08/2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger iSeL said...

*drool* *drool* beautiful socks!

2/08/2006 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home